Sunday, December 5, 2010

What Would Fran Lebowitz Think?

I just watched "Public Speaking" -- Martin Scorsese's documentary about Fran Lebowitz. Fascinating! 

She quickly and comedically disagrees with Toni Morrison's words, "Write the book you want to read...." and in that second I felt like she was curtly dismissing what I see as... well... the entire Wyatt-MacKenzie roster! I started to wonder, What would Fran Lebowitz think of some of our books and authors? 

A few of her famous disses:

"Your life story would not make a good book. Don’t even try." — Fran Lebowitz

"Having been unpopular in high school is not just cause for book publications. "  Fran Lebowitz

AND THEN she shared the story of attending the Nobel Dinner when Toni Morrison received her award. Her voice was over video footage of King Gustaf walking Toni Morrison into the big Nobel banquet hall. I squealed, "He endorsed our book!"

THEN Ms. Lebowitz says, "And they have a seating plan..." and goes on to tell the story of being seated at the children's table. When a young man asked her what the meat on his plate was she quickly responds, "Steak." Then she whispers to the camera, "It was reindeer!" I screeched

So, I believe Fran Lebowitz would think that Wyatt-MacKenzie and all of our authors -- writing the books they wanted to read who may be small in the big-world of publishing are big in their own worlds (and careers) after having the guts to publish their work -- is cool and she'd get a big kick out of REINDEER WITH KING GUSTAF by Anita Laughlin. 


Did I mention all the Nobel Laureates were gifted a copy of our book at last year's ceremony? (I know, too many times, but hearing a cultural icon like Fran Lebowitz talk about the Nobel experience made me even prouder of us!)